A Little Rosé Never Hurt…

Last night, I had a lovely blush wine, a Gerard Bertrand Cote des Rose rosé. The bottle was contoured with a rose pattern on the base and came with a glass stopper instead of a cork. Apparently, a student at Ecole Boulle in Paris designed it.

I’m typically weary of things that come in flashy packages. It usually means they’re trying to make up for something that’s not inside. This time, however, it was a nice surprise.

Grown in the Languedoc region, the climate is warm and windy. The soil consistency is primarily limestone but otherwise generally rocky. The wine has been described as fresh and full with notes of “candy.” Had I read this description first, I might have put the bottle back. I’m not fond of any wine equated with something that sweet. But my experience with this pink juice was a little different.

There was a light strawberry nose—and that’s all I got out of it because basically my nose sucks. Other people who judge wines come up with things like, “notes of leather and chocolate with a pungent awareness of its surroundings.” I get, “It smells like wine.”

The taste was light and fresh with more strawberry. I also got a mid-palate strike of rose petals and pear. Beyond that, it was just a lovely, bright wine I would serve any time. I might pair it with shrimp or chicken and even some gooey cheeses. Fresh fruits, not dried, would be better: berries, apples, and even slices of kiwi.

Rosé has become a thing—like when Sex & The City made cosmos popular. But it is often regarded as a “summer” wine. That’s too bad, because you should be able to enjoy it at any time of the year. But a quick check of your local wine shop and you’ll see them disappear after Labor Day weekend quicker than a one-night stand.

When it comes to rosés, don’t forget about the bubbly. Sparkling rosé is pretty festive. One of my favorites is H. Billiot Fils Grand Cru. Salmon colored with fruity brightness and a touch of salinity, it goes down smooth. This is one I would serve as an aperitif, with a meal, or for any celebration.


So the next time you’re choosing a wine for dinner, try a rosé. But don’t forget about it just because it’s a little chilly outside.

No comments: