Blueberries…

I grew up spending many of my summers in Maine. Fresh lobster. Fresh corn. Tomatoes! But oh, the blueberries... They were everywhere and it was fantastic. Blueberries in cream. Blueberries with yogurt and honey. Blueberry milkshakes. Blueberries with peaches. Blueberry pancakes. Blueberry muffins. There was an endless stream of blueberry anything.

As soon as August hits, I know blueberries will be my new best friend. Today was no exception. I went to Jones Family Farm in Shelton with two of my three daughters. (And they went willingly! How’s that for incredible parenting?!?) We picked for about an hour and got close to six pounds of those tiny sapphire globes.

Once home, the kitchen frenzy began. Blueberry cobbler, blueberry jam, and blueberry muffins jumped out. (I will be getting a little more creative as the last basket of berries stares at me, longingly.)

The jam was easy. Berries, sugar, and a little lemon juice. Done. Reduce and you’ve got tomorrow’s bread spread. The cobbler and the muffins were a little troublesome. The cobbler called for ½ cup of all-purpose flour. It probably needed a full cup because the topping, once baked, didn’t quite cover the berries the way it should have. And the muffins were super cute, but a little dry. I’m not sure it was the batter, just the amount of cooking time. So I’ll shave off a few minutes the next time.


As August slides into September and early October, savor the best of a late summer harvest. Enjoy the season. Winter will be here before you know it.

No comments: